Docent: Stephen Small, Ph.D.
Wed 26 June 2013 20:00 - 21:45
- When and why did Dutch slavery and the slave trade begin?
- What are the distinctive features of Dutch slavery and the slave trade?
- What were the main forms of resistance against Dutch slavery?
- Why was slavery legally abolished by the Dutch?
- What happened to the enslaved and to the slave-masters after legal abolition?
- What is the legacy of slavery in the Netherlands itself?
- Why was a National Monument to slavery built in Amsterdam in 2002?
- Why did a National Institute for the Study of Dutch slavery and its legacy (NiNsee) open in 2003?
Please note that this course will be taught in English.